ASSAULT: Suspended Edo Monarch Apologises
The Onojie of Uromi, His Royal Highness Anselm Aidenojie II, who was suspended by the Edo State Government over an alleged assault on a woman, among other offences, has tendered an apology to the state government.
The Onojie had been suspended for seven days for allegedly attacking one Mrs. Betty Okoebor, on September 28, failing to respond to a query and travelling outside the country without permission and in alleged disregard for extant regulations and laws.
According to a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Peter Okhiria, on Thursday, the traditional ruler’s apology was contained in a letter dated October 28, 2016, where he was said to have admitted that there was an “altercation” between him and the woman.
In the letter titled “Letter of Apology to Edo State Government, Re: Suspension from Office as Traditional Ruler of Uromi Kingdom,” the Onojie, however, described the incident as a “family affair” without the intention to flout constituted authority.
The state quoted the monarch to have said, “I felt that the altercation on 28 September, 2016, between me and one of my daughters (sic) which I took to be a family affair, and which has been resolved, sufficed. Betty Okoebor has since followed the custom and reconciled herself to the throne as a daughter.”
It added, “I sincerely apologise to the state government for not replying the query within the stipulated time and for not obtaining permission before I travelled outside the country and also for the resolved altercation between me and my daughter, Betty Okoebor.
“Let me reiterate, Your Excellency, that I recognize and respect the authority of the Edo State Government with you, Adams Aliyu Oshiomhole, as the executive governor, and I again pledge my unalloyed loyalty.”